Gray Ratsnake Recovery Project
Coordinated monitoring, threat mitigation, habitat creation and delivery of stewardship communications for Carolinian Gray Rat Snake Oriskany Subpopulation to address knowledge gaps and prevent further population decline.
- To design, construct and monitor microclimatic conditions of test hibernacula to determine its feasibility as an alternative habitat creation technique for Gray Rat Snake population recovery;
- To survey areas of interest in the Carolinian Gray Rat Snake Oriskany sub-population range to identify habitat features, imminent threats and extent of species distribution;
- To mitigate habitat fragmentation threats through strategic afforestation to enlarge and connect existing habitat and wetland restoration;
- To identify, monitor and collect data from existing hibernacula, nest sites, nest box and cover board installations to expand knowledge of Gray Rat Snake ecology, behavior and population dynamics; and
- To utilize local knowledge, educational outreach, a network of local residents and project partners to raise awareness, encourage best management practices and mitigate threats to Gray Rat Snake population decline.
OUR COMPLETED GRAY (BLACK) RATSNAKE PROJECTS